WHEN CAN I START KANGATRAINING CLASS?
You can begin Kangatraining once you have been given the all clear to start exercising from your health professional. This is generally 6 weeks for a vaginal birth or 12 weeks following a caesarean. You will complete a health questionnaire prior to commencing Kangatraining to highlight any health concerns or injuries and if necessary your trainer can modify the exercises in the workout for you.
WHAT IS INVOLVED IN A CLASS?
The focus is on providing a low impact, aerobic postnatal exercise class that covers cardiovascular endurance and flexibility, muscular strength and capacity. Kangatraining gives particular attention to the pelvic floor and abdominal muscles, as well as posture.
Kangatraining includes floor work, standing muscular endurance exercises, basic choreography and cool down with stretching and pelvic floor exercises. The difference to traditional exercise classes is that your baby is with you all the time.
HOW LONG IS EACH KANGATRAINING SESSION?
Each Kangatraining session is approximately 60 minutes.
Mums are encouraged to arrive at the class about 15 minutes prior to the class starting, to allow ample time for babies to be fed and changed to ensure their comfort for the rest of the session.
This also allows the Kangatrainer time to discuss any health or physical concerns mums may have prior to the class, so that modifications can be made to exercises for them.
IS MY BABY CARRIER SUITABLE, WHAT IF I DON'T HAVE ONE?
In Kangatraining, we ensure healthy and safe babywearing. You are welcome to bring your carrier which our trainers will assess its suitability for the class and provide any fitting assistance. Assessment criteria include that the baby is in the optimal 'M' squat position, there is good back, neck and head support for your baby, baby is facing towards the person carrying them and it is comfortable for both you and baby.
Suitable carriers include soft structured carriers (eg Manduca, Tula, Kinderpack, Ergo), Mei Tais and Woven Wraps.
Unsuitable carriers include narrow based carriers (Bjorns), forward facing carriers, ring slings and stretchy wraps.
If you don't have a carrier, there are suitable carriers for hire or purchase, our Manduca Carriers can hold up to 20kg.
CAN I TANDEM CARRY TWO BABIES?
Unfortunately Kangatraining is not designed for tandem carrying. You can bring along a friend or family member to carry additional babies.
IS THERE AN AGE LIMIT?
Kangatraining has no age limit. As long as you can comfortably and safely carry your child, you can participate. Kangatraining use Manduca's which can be worn from newborn (3.5kg) to toddler/child (up to 20kg).
CAN I BRING MY OLDER CHILDREN?
Yes, older siblings are more than welcome. I would love for them to join in with the dancing, but it is also a good idea to bring some toys/activities to keep them entertained.
CAN I PARTICIPATE DURING PREGNANCY?
Kangatraining is specifically designed for exercise after having a baby, we welcome you to classes when you have a new babe in arms.
Kangatraining North Lakes will be introducing PreKanga in January, 2018. This is a Kanga class specifically designed for pregnancy.
If you would like recommendations for excellent Pre Natal fitness activities in your local area, don’t hesitate to enquire in the contact form below.
WHAT DO I WEAR?
Like all exercise activities, wear something that is comfortable for you to move in. There are some floor exercises, so a skirt is not recommended. It is suggested to have bare feet or wear socks during the class, however feel free to wear Joggers/Trainers.
WHAT DOES MY BABY WEAR?
The baby carrier allows you and your baby to stay very close whilst exercising. This does supply them with some warmth. It is best to layer your baby, so you can determine what is best at the time.
WHAT DO I NEED TO DO BEFORE I START A KANGATRAINING CLASS?
Before you start your first Kangatraining class:
- Make a booking with your Kangatrainer. This is important as the number of participants is capped to ensure your trainer can provide impeccable and personal service.
- Fill out the pre-screening forms. This allows the Kangatrainer to have prior knowledge of any pre-existing issues, particularly from pregnancy or the delivery room.
- Get the 'ok' from a health professional to start exercise. This is always important before starting any exercise straight after birth.
- Have your trainer test for Diastis Rectus of Abdominal Muscles (DRAM)(Abdominal Separation). Your Kangatrainer will do this before the start of your first lesson.
- Kangatrainer checks your carrier (if you have one) for its suitability for the workout.
WHAT TO EXPECT ON YOUR FIRST LESSON?
- Your Kangatrainer will have the yoga mats set out for the floor work. Choose a mat you would like to use.
- Some mothers may be breastfeeding, as it is good to breastfeed prior to a class, making it more comfortable for you and baby.
- Your Kangatrainer will ask to inspect your carrier, if you have one. She is looking for key features that support the baby during exercise. If your carrier is not suitable or you don't have one, you can hire one.
- Your Kangatrainer will ask you to test your abdominal separation. If you do not want your Kangatrainer to test you, please let her know, it is not compulsory.
- She will also discuss your paperwork with you and ask if you have any concerns or questions.
- The class starts with a warm up where the babies are in your arms and you are standing and doing very basic dance steps, to get your heart rate up.
- Next is the floor work is on the mats provided.
- Then babies are then put into carriers, your Kangatrainer will check your carrier to make sure it is on safe and secure.
- After that the Kangatrainer leads the class with some very basic choreography and muscular endurances exercises to music, including bar work.
- The class finishes with stretching and pelvic floor exercises, whilst still in the carriers.
WHAT DO I NEED TO BRING TO CLASS?
- Wear comfortable exercise clothes
- Layer your baby's clothes to adjust for weather and babywearing
- Water bottle
- Baby carrier (if you have one)
- Supplies for baby
- Yoga mat (if you have one)
- Towel or blanket for baby
- Toys/Entertainment for older children (if necessary)
I HAVE NOT RECEIVED AN EMAIL BACK AFTER REGISTERING FOR A CLASS OR EXPRESSING INTEREST IN PURCHASING PRODUCTS
Kangatraining is originally from Austria, therefore the email server is from Europe. As a result occasionally emails sent to you can go to your junk mail. If you have not received an email back within 24 hours, check your junk mail.